Wednesday 19 January 2011

Logo Design: Dragon Origin

I had to help create a new television channel. I needed to create a name, a logo and an animated television ident. 




Logo Ident: Channel Idea
For my channel idea I have decided to base it on anime and cartoons, this means that the channel will appeal to children and teenagers. I will need to come up with an effective name that represents what kind of programmes will be on the channel. I will also need to create an attractive logo that, along with a moving ident, represents the channel, looks interesting and appeals to the audience.
Here is a list of names for the new channel:

Anime TV
The Red Sun

These names are a bit plain and don’t sound very interesting. I could use a longer, more appealing name.
Red Sun Origin TV

I like this because it clearly describes what the channel is about, however it’s a bit long and complicated, unless I used an acronym like RSO TV.

Red Sun Wolf
Anime Wolf

I like these ideas as I could use a wolf howling at the setting sun for my logo and ident.

Anime Dragon
Dragon Origin
Dragon Origin TV

These names sound good as I could still use the howling wolf idea but I could add a flying Japanese dragon to pass through the red sun.
I am going to use Dragon Origin TV because this represents the type of programmes that will be on this channel. Most or all of the programmes will be anime or anime style. Anime originated from Japan, this is why I used names relating to the Red Rising Sun and Dragons. Japanese dragons are still popular in today’s modern cultures.

Logo Ident: Logo Development


This is my initial design developed onto the computer, I’ve added colour and a sketchy boarder to give it a traditional Japanese Watercolour Art effect.
An example of traditional Japanese art used in modern life such as video games (Left). Also the shape behind the ‘TV’ text was inspired by the image on the right, displaying a Japanese dragon. This is an example of traditional Japanese art, painted in 1897 (Right)
I decided to develop my idea by first experimenting with the positioning of each part of the logo.

 




















I tried to find a design that didn’t take up much room so I completely rearranged my design into a more portrait style. I liked my first idea because it wasn’t too close together and still included all the pieces of the logo I wanted. On my second idea I wanted to see if I could make a smaller design. I rearranged it so that it was tighter but I felt this looked too much in one place. I also made my third idea tighter by taking away the wolf. Problem was I liked the wolf and I could imagine it in the animation for the logo ident.

 
 





I tried again without the wolf and modified the design so that it was landscape. This looked successful as it was small and didn’t take up much room. For my fifth idea I put the wolf back in using the same design as before. This looked wrong as it didn’t really fit. I then had to pick an idea to develop the colour, I liked the first idea best but it didn’t look as effective as my third idea. I decided to pick my first idea though because I thought it looked most interesting with the wolf and I imagined that the logo for a television channel wouldn’t really be used on a small application, only on a television screen where it could be large.

1 comment:

  1. Logo design and Stationery Design plays a very important role in brand identity building no matter what techniques you are using to reach new customers and potential clients.

    ReplyDelete