Wednesday 12 January 2011

Camera Shots and Editing Practice

I used a Flip Video Camera to practice getting different shots. The Flip Video Camera is a small easy to use camera with zoom functions and high quality recordings. This camera can be used effectively on a tripod, taking good panning shots. However it isn't very useful for changing the focus length as it doesn't have this function.


I used the camera, a tripod and iMovie to create a short video. I did this by first filming different shots outside the college. When taking shots I waited ten seconds after pressing play to leave time for the camera to steady and time for editing later. I also took about three takes for each shots so that i could use the best take when editing. Any piece of footage that I didn't need would be edited out later. 
My first shot was a tilt shot from high to low, I zoomed in on this shot so that there was more detail on the sculpture. The term 'tilt shot' in filming means the camera moves up and down on the same axis without moving left or right. The term 'zoom' means the camera is focusing on something closer than normal without moving from the original spot the shot was taken. My next shot was a pan from right to left. The term 'pan shot' means that the camera is moving from left to right or right to left. I then practiced doing another tilt shot but this was from low to high. I finished with a pan shot from left to right. When I was filming I was careful about health and safety. I didn't film on the path so that the tripod wasn't a hazard to anybody walking past. Also I was careful that the area i was working on was level so that the camera didn't fall over or sink into the wet ground.


Once I had my footage I uploaded it to the computer and used iMovie to edit and put together what I had done.
I did this by importing the separate videos from the camera.














I then selected the piece of footage I wanted from each clip by highlighting the bit i wanted. I then dragged it into the video.




















Once the video had been put together and I was happy with it, I then selected 'Share' and exported it as a QuickTime Movie. This then gives the option to change advanced settings such as sound quality and screen quality. These settings can be changed depending on whether the video is going to be higher quality or faster export. After changing these options to what I wanted I named it and then saved it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    A good blog about video , techniques and the editing screen grabs help explain what you did. And a good section about exporting could be expanded a bit more by adding about file sizes and quality options when it comes to final output.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete